Contact your Elected Officials

Our expectation is this: Elected officials — especially those representing downstream communities — need to be speaking on behalf of our communities, even when it’s hard, even when it requires vision, even when foreign corporations have major financial interests in our resources.

Here’s an example — thousands of Minnesota health care professionals demanded a “Health Impact Assessment” of the PolyMet proposal. That has not happened. Why? Has your elected official asked questions about that? It is worth asking them questions like this, in addition to questions about how they are protecting your drinking water and community.

Here is some useful contact information:

  • Governor Walz and Lt. Gov Flanagan 1-800-657-3717

  • Duluth City Councilors. In February, 2018, the City of Carlton passed a "Resolution in Support of a Moratorium on Copper-Nickel Sulfide Mining in the St. Louis River Watershed". Please review and share with your own city councilors. Ask them to speak on the dangers posed by PolyMet.

  • Duluth Mayor Larson: Have Duluthians, including her, seen an emergency response plan? Do we adequately understand long-term cumulative health impacts, including to mercury-susceptible newborns? You can reach Mayor Larson at 218-730-5230 or email via

  • MN State Legislature Directory:

  • DNR 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367)

  • MPCA 651-296-6300 or 800-657-3864

  • St. Louis County Commissioners:

    The Glencore/PolyMet sulfide mining proposal is too dangerous for Lake Superior and the communities downstream. Thank you.